Meaning of annealing
- heat (metal or glass) and allow it to cool slowly, in order to remove internal stresses and toughen it.
copper tubes must be annealed after bending or they will be brittle
the chimneys of annealing furnaces
Dr Lowenstein, annealed to hostility, looked at me coolly
- recombine (DNA) in the double-stranded form.
Old English onǣlan, from on + ǣlan ‘burn, bake’ from āl ‘fire, burning’. The original sense was ‘set on fire’, hence (in late Middle English) ‘subject to fire, alter by heating’.
Information about annealing
- It is a verb.
- The plural form of annealing is: annealings.
- Languages in which annealing is used:
(Press the button to hear it)
Hyphenation of annealing
- It consists of 3 syllables and 9 chars.
- annealing is a word trisyllabic because it has three syllables
Words that rhyme with annealing
Ling, Coaling, Ealing, antiwhaling, appealing, autodialing, avaling, backpedaling, baling, bealing, berascaling, canaling, capitaling, charcoaling, coaling, concealing, congealing, countersealing, craaling, credentialing, crystaling, dealing, descaling, dialing, downscaling, embaling, empaling, ensealing, equaling, exhaling, fealing, foaling, forepaling, gealing, gimbaling, goaling, haling, healing, impaling, inhaling, initialing, instealing, interdealing, intervaling, journaling, keelhaling, kraaling, lateraling, localing, manstealing