Meaning of abacus
- A table or tray scattered with sand which was used for calculating or drawing.
- A device used for performing arithmetical calculations; a table on which loose counters are placed, or (more commonly) an instrument with beads sliding on rods, or counters in grooves, with one row of beads or counters representing units, the next tens, etc.
I’ve heard merchants still use an abacus for adding things up in China.
- The uppermost portion of the capital of a column immediately under the architrave, in some cases a flat oblong or square slab, in others more decorated.
- A board, tray, or table, divided into perforated compartments for holding bottles, cups, or the like; a kind of buffet, cupboard, or sideboard.
Information about abacus
- It is a name.
- Languages in which abacus is used:
(Press the button to hear it)
Hyphenation of abacus
- It consists of 2 syllables and 6 chars.
- abacus is a word disyllabic because it has two syllables
Translation of abacus
- Italian: abaco, abbaco
- French: abaque, boulier, tailloir
- Portuguese: ábaco
- German: Abakus
- Spanish: ábaco
Words that rhyme with abacus
Acus, acus, Astrabacus, Alexicacus, Cacus, Macacus, macacus, Carpodacus, Dacus, Labdacus, carpodacus, Aeacus, Erithacus, erithacus, Cariacus, Muntiacus, Oeciacus, Wahkiacus, acardiacus, cardiacus, iliacus, muntiacus, pericardiacus, Placus, climacus, epimacus, Benacus, Manacus, benacus, opacus, Assaracus, Turacus, amaracus, Aesacus, Dipsacus, dipsacus, Astacus, Attacus, Caractacus, Caratacus, Melopsittacus, Pittacus, Psittacus, Spartacus, astacus, attacus, caratacus, melopsittacus, psittacus
Are you looking more rhymes for abacus? Try our rhymes search engine.